How do I get a very smooth uniform paint surface?
Reader Question: How do I get a very smooth uniform paint surface? I am painting on smooth composition board. Also should I treat the composition board surface before painting?
To make a very smooth paint surface on composition board, here are the steps you can follow to prepare the board:
- Using a flat brush, apply a coat of gesso to the composition board.
- After the gesso dries, lightly sand the composition board using a fine-grit sandpaper. This will remove any bumps or imperfections in the surface.
- Blow off any loose particles, then apply another coat of gesso.
- After the gesso dries, sand it again using fine-grit sandpaper to remove any imperfections.
- Repeat this process of applying gesso and sanding until you achieve a smooth, uniform paint surface.
I've used this technique several times to prepare hardboard panels for painting, so it should work for you, too!